Richard L. (Dick) Adams was born September 4, 1932 in Porterville, California. The adams family moved to Buttonwillow when Richard was a teenager. He attended Bakersfield High school.
Richard joined the U.S. Army in 1949 served until December 31, 1952 was discharged as M/Sergeant; He was awarded the Purple Heart; Bronze Star w/v; Presidential Unit Citation; Korean President Citaton; United Nations Medal; Korean Service Medal w/5 Battle Stars; Good Conduct Medal and Army of Occupation Medal (Japan).
While on a trip to Ohio, Richard met his wife, Mary nn Gordon. They were married on September 9, 1953. Richard an Mary Ann have two sons; Tom, married to Nan Emmerson of Sanger California; they have two daughters, Kristen Newburry (husband Rusty) six daughers and on son of Sanger, California and Kari Griffith (husban Bryan) two daughters of Fresno, California and son Richard of Caruthers, California.
Richard retired as manager of Rasin City Co-op Cotton Gin in 1997 after forty years of service.
- The following are a few of Richard’s acccomplishments:
- Richard served as a Director of the 25th Infantry Division
- VFW Commander Caruthers Post #6745
- Director of the Korean War Veterans Association, Inc. fron 1994 to 2000
- Board Member Caruthers Veterans Memorial Committee
- Past-President Caruthers Chamber of Commerce
- Past-President Caruthers Community Service District
- Past-President Caruthers High School Boosters Club
- Director Caruthers Lions Club
- Director Ranchers Cotton Oil Co.
- Director California Agriculture Museum
- Delegate to National Cotton Council of America
- Past-President California Cotton Gin Association
- Richard’s greatest Highlights on a personal level are;
- National President Korean War Veterans Assocaition, Inc. (KWVA) from 1988 to 1994, During this time period the Members of the KWVA were instrumental in the help of obtaining the National Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC.